Identity Theft, Fraud and Cyber Crimes FAQs


How can I access my credit report without paying for it?

Will checking my credit report make my credit score go down? You are entitled to one free copy of your credit report from each of the three credit reporting agencies every 12 months. Obtaining your credit report will not have any negative impact on your credit score. The easiest way to check your credit report is to go to annualcreditreport.com

Should I place a credit freeze on my credit?

If you have been a victim of Identity Theft, you may want to consider a Fraud Alert or a Credit Freeze. Federal law ensures that placing a Fraud Alert and a placing an Credit Freeze is FREE to victims of Identity Theft. For more information go to CBIVictimSupport.com.

When I tried to e-file my taxes, I got a notice saying I already filed. Am I a victim of ID Theft?

Yes, you are a victim of ID Theft. Every year, thousands of fraudulent tax returns are filed with the IRS. The ID thieves use someone else's social security number, create fraudulent W2 forms, and file a tax return that gives them a large tax refund. If this happens to you, there are some important steps you must take. You must report the ID Theft to the IRS and file the appropriate forms. CBI's Victim Assistance Program assists many victims with this process, and we can help you. For more information, call (303) 239-4242.

What should I do if I discover that someone else used my name and their crimes are showing up on my criminal history?

If someone else uses your name or other identifying information when arrested for a crime or when given a traffic ticket, you will need to do a Record Challenge. CBI's Victim Assistance Program can help you through this process and ensure that your histories are corrected. For assistance with a Record Challenges, call (303) 239-4242.

I am a small business owner in Colorado. How can I protect my business from ID Theft? 

Business owners can take a few simple steps to prevent Business ID Theft. Make sure your business listing with the Secretary of State's Office is current and that your annual reports are filed on time. Take the extra step to inactivate businesses that are no longer in service. Sign up for email alerts and acquire a PIN to protect your business. For more information and a checklist, SOS Protect My Business 

I am a victim of the most recent data breach. What can I do to protect myself?

Data breaches are in the news frequently. There are steps you may take to protect yourself. First, contact your financial institution and close any credit or debit cards that you used at the location with the breach. Your bank or credit union will help you transfer legitimate charges and regular debits to a new card and account. Report that you have been a victim to local law enforcement. For more detailed information, contact our Victim Assistance Team (303) 239-4242